Visit Counter

Sunday, January 10, 2021

Murkowski says she is not considering joining Democratic caucus




McCain in a dress.



Murkowski, who is up for reelection in 2022, said that her status as a Republican depends if the GOP trends towards Trump’s platform.


She explained:

"Well, you know, there’s a lot of people who actually thought that I did that in 2010, think that I became an independent. I didn’t have any reason to leave my party in 2010. I was a Republican who ran a write-in campaign and I was successful. But I will tell you, if the Republican Party has become nothing more than the party of Trump, I sincerely question whether this is the party for me."

--------------------


Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) responded “absolutely, unequivocally not” when asked if she was considering switching to the Democratic Party.

Liz Ruskin, an Alaska public radio reporter, asked Murkowski if she was planning to become a Democrat amid speculation of her identity within the Republican Party.

“No. No. Absolutely, unequivocally not,” Murkowski replied.

Rumors of Murkowski switching party affiliations began when she said that “if the Republican Party has become nothing more than the party of Trump, I sincerely question whether this is the party for me.”

Murkowski is the first Republican senator who has called on Trump to resign since the Capitol attacks on Wednesday, when Trump called the rioters “special” and continued to push his claims of election fraud.

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) has signaled that he might support impeachment if it makes it through the House and depending on why the National Guard was not deployed during the riot.

This isn’t the first time Murkowski has gone against her fellow Republican colleagues. The most notable time Murkowski bucked the GOP and Trump was during the confirmation of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, when she simply voted "present."

Trump has previously threatened to support Murkowski’s primary challenger when she is up for reelection in 2022. Murkowski has been in the Senate since 2002.





Share/Bookmark

No comments :

Post a Comment